Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Some People!?!?

This morning I called to change Noel’s doctor to our pervious pediatric practice; I was told about this great doctor who has recently seen a trach-vented patient. I am really excited at the possibility of having a doctor that I am comfortable with and confident in . So I called the office and since Noel has been a patient there before all of her records pulled up. The receptionist proceeds to tell me that we had an appointment that we missed to she’s not sure if Noel can be seen there. She told me the appointment was on January 21, 2008, hmm, Noel was laying in the PICU at The Children’s Hospital at the time, why wasn’t cancelling the appointment the first thing on my mind? I tell the receptionist, “Noel was in the hospital at the time barley alive so that’s why I didn’t cancel it. ”She then tells me, very nonchalantly, “Oh I know, but you still have to cancel your appointment.” What??? You know? You know what it’s like to see your baby laying there helpless unable to breath on her own? Seeing her condition rapidly worsen? Were you there? Do you know the life we have lived this last year with a two year old who is on life-support?? I can’t believe how absolutely insensitive people can be. Please don’t tell me you know, that was so rude! I know it’s just a silly receptionist, but for some reason her in-sensitiveness really hurt me. It’s hard sometimes even when people who we know say they know what we’re going through, let alone some stranger over the phone. It would have been nice if she could have a least acknowledge what I told her and at least followed up with an “I am sorry to hear that.” Needless to say I am going to talk with the office manager about the situation. I know I shouldn’t expect more out of people these days, but still a little human respect would be nice. Thanks for letting me vent.

4 comments:

Jenny&Liberty said...

Thats unbelievable! You should have asked to speak to the office manager, after you got her name of course.

Alicia said...

I am so sorry you have to deal with ignorant and disrespectful people like that. Definitely speak to an office manager. Are you able to, or do you want to, still see this ped, despite not canceling? There has got to be exceptions to the rule and your situation last January should absolutely be one of those exceptions.

Alicia

Dana said...

Call back and speak to the O.M. then if that doesn't work show up and wait until you are seen. They have no right to treat you that way. E-mail the doctor. If and when you see him/her make sure you tell the docotor that there staff is acting like that. Tell them you can spread the word about this practice if need be.

I get very mad when people show NO compassion or sympathy towards our situations. Not that they should feel sorry for us but then need to Understand where we are coming from.

Ann said...

Tina, I'd be upset too. If this office has a doc that specializes in medically fragile children, he needs to train his staff that appointments are made to be broken and nothing goes according to plan and it's not the parent's fault. I've no doubt that the physician and/or office manager would want to know how you were treated.

Hugs.
Ann

p.s. it's good to see you back online!


Steps for Noel

My feet were burning, the sweat started to drip into my eyes and my throat was as dry as a desert; but I didn’t even care. No pain or discom...

Popular Posts